Sunday, January 20, 2013

Legislative Issues Foldable

The next foldable for the Legislative part of the lapbook covers SOL CE.7c which states the student will be able to explain the lawmaking process at the state level.  This is where Federalism comes into play.  We discussed that the national government and the state government have different responsibilities when it comes to government.  The essential knowledge mentions 5 areas that states are concerned with: education, health, environment, state budget and revenue.

This foldable is a matchbook foldable.  To make this folable you take a whole sheet of paper.  Take the margin that has the hole punches and fold it up along the red margin line.  Then take what is left and fold that down.  The inside of the foldable should fit nicely into the small upper part.  The label for this foldable is "Primary Legislative Issues in Virginia".  There needs to be four cuts to make five flaps.  Only cut on the outside flap- I tell the students to turn their foldable so it looks like a mountain and cut only one side of the mountain. This is the finished foldable.
I don't know if you can tell but there are cuts in between the pictures.

* Note about pictures: I tell my students they are free to draw what they like as long it relates back to the idea and it helps them remember.  They are free to draw what I draw or they can come up with something on their own.

Education flap:

The picture is an open book.  Other ideas I thought of: school bus, school building, a teacher, backpack or notebook paper with pens and pencils.

On the outside flap is the information from the essential knowledge: "to promote an informed and engaged citizenry" and then on the bottom flap is the word "Education".
Health flap:

I drew the caduceus (the symbol for medicine).  Other pictures could be doctors, health department building or a thermometer.

On the outside flap is the essential knowledge "to promote and protect the health of its citizens" and then on the bottom flap is "Health".

Environment flap:

I drew a tree.  Other ideas could be a pastoral setting, a river, the Chesapeake Bay or a flower.

On the outside flap I wrote the essential knowledge, "to protect national resources" and then on the bottom flap "Environment".


State Budget flap:

I drew (a crude) Virginia (I never claimed to be an artist-I teach Civics) and then a dollar sign.  Another option could include a piece of paper that has the word budget written at the top.

On the top flap I wrote the essential knowledge: "to approve the biennial (every two year) budget prepared by the Governor Bob McDonnell".  The essential knowledge does not have the governor's name but I thought it would be a good way to reinforce the governor's name.  Then on the bottom flap I wrote "State Budget".


Revenue flap:

I drew a tax bill.  If you don't use the dollar sign for the budget part you could use a dollar sign here.

I wrote in the essential knowledge "to levy and collect taxes to pay for services".  I added the "pay for services" part.  Then a the bottom I wrote "Revenue".


Remind students to write their name on it and put in their baggie!

Happy Teaching!
Cori

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great activity! The foldables I have attempted in the past were way too intricate and the paper had to be pre-cut to special sizes. Way too much work. This uses standard notebook paper and seems pretty simple to do. I am definitely going to give it a try! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ross- I try to KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid. Too many things make a stressed out teacher!

    ReplyDelete