Saturday, March 16, 2013

Let the Economics Begin!

It's that time of year. . .when a Civic's teacher mind changes to thoughts of Economics.  To be honest, when I started teaching I was petrified about the prospect of teaching Economics.  Of all the classes in college, microeconomics and macroeconomics gave me a run for my money.  I had never studied so hard in a 100 level course.  However, as the years have gone by I really enjoy teaching Economics.  This past week we spent on introducing what Economics is to the students using SOL 11a.  This past Thursday and Friday we plotted supply and demand schedules to figure out the price of products based on producer's supply and consumer's demand.

At first, the students told me that they were scared because "It's MATH!".  Well, yes, my dear. . . it is math.  If your Civics teacher can teach math then you can do it too!  So we plotted along and I was able to show them that as consumer demand changes the price of the item will too.  We also worked a schedule that shows how more product relates to a lower price.

This is a picture of my board after the supply and demand schedule that shows the new supply and how it changes the price of the product.  I really like this activity because the kids actually see how the supply of law and demand work.

My zip drive with my worksheets is at school.  However, here are some links to pages that have supply and demand schedules:  here and here.

Happy Teaching!
C

No comments:

Post a Comment